Friday, November 17, 2006

 

Friday Again?

Ah, the week has flown past - I have been able to catch up with heaps of little jobs outstanding now that I am a man of "leisure". I did go to another comprehensive school yesterday as a sign of good faith to an agency who set up the deal for me. This particular (unnamed) school has senior teachers roaming the campus with mobile phones, ready to jump to the aid of teachers having difficulties in their classes. While I was there a year 10 boy had to be restrained by two teachers. This scheme was promoted to me as a benefit of teaching at the school! I think from now on I will be avoiding comprehensive schools - it isn't teaching as I know it. I am hoping that some more pleasant environs open up in the next few weeks - otherwise it's off to the pork sausage making factory for me!
For your "pleasure", some links on this issue...if you do not want to read the whole lot, focus on the first one as it is an accurate description of what I have been up to "professionally" - this is not my diary, in fact some of my classes were worse than this, it was written four years ago by another mathematics teacher...don't read it close to bedtime!
Secret diary of a school teacher
Who'll save our schools?
Teachers want to quit over abuse
Gang threat shuts schools early
Police attend 4,500 school crimes
Violence: just part of the job?
Unruly pupils on the increase as 400,000 suspended from schools
In more pleasant news, Friday is for beer and we are bringing our neighbours over for drinks tonight - the pic is of some of the local brews - NOT served warm as is the common misconception in Oz. I am partial to Newcastle Brown Ale myself. Tomorrow we are off on the Ferry from Dover to Calais, and then driving into Brussels for a look - what a hoot - have a great weekend everyone!

Comments:
Hi Pecky

Yep interesting reading...have I ever mentioned that the cycle of stress that I see (in following the school terms) whilst living with a teacher is an unhealthy lifestyle!

Way to go career diversity!

Cheers

Wifey
 
I'm doing as instructed and NOT reading the links at bedtime!

However, I wish to complain about the torture today's pic is putting me through! My FAVOURITE tipple since my 30s has been Speckled Hen - you can get it here
occasionally. And my favourite tipple "when I was a lad" was "Newcy Brown" (pronounced Nukey Broon). I spent 3 delightful years at Durham University drinking the local tipple, but nowadays I'm but a shadow of my past and can't handle more than a couple of bottles! I'll teach you how to speak Geordy sometime - that's local-speak in Newcastle (Pronounced nuCASSLE).

Seriously though, what a horrid time you've had and well done for doing something about it.

Deb
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?