Tuesday, December 12, 2006

 

I, Clavdivs?

I have 24 hours of freedom left! This time tomorrow I will be driving to Maldon and joining The Plume School. Last time I mentioned this school I was a bit dismissive, but after seeing their junior campus (just years 7 and 8), I thought I might have a role to play in the school. So I went back and had the interview and taught a lesson, and now I will be working exclusively teaching science on this campus at least until Easter 2007. After that they want me to teach Mathematics in the senior school, but I'm none too keen on that at the moment! We are still without accommodation in Denmark for Christmas - we did have a place organised, but we found out it had only two rooms! Would have been a wee bit small for all of us - even for only a week. I have called Copenhagen a couple of times in the last day or two, and hope to have something sorted out by the end of this week. On Sunday we drove up to Colchester to have a look around. I thought it'd be a bit naff, but I was amazed at the history of the place, and certainly this blog is far too little space to expand on it, but I will say it was the first permanent Norman settlement (beating London), and before that it was a major Roman outpost, and prior to that the capital of the Trinovantes. So the history is layer upon layer, and we spent some time groping about in the ruins of the Temple of Claudius, then up into the Norman Castle (see picture). It was definitely worth the visit - and we found out that "Twinkle Twinkle little star" was written in Colchester! I think we will be revisiting to see some of the other buildings in the area.

Comments:
Thinking of you, especially last week when we had the year 7 graduation and then on Friday the old group were invited out to the Melville City dinner by the Deputy Mayor, Duncan!! Looks like you are doing lots of travelling and having lots of adventures... hope you can sort out the accommodation for Denmark, should be a great spot to spend Xmas. The plume School souns oh so posh,is it Sir Peck? hope work is going well Kym and the travelling isn't too bad!The boys look well and Ignacio has enjoyed reading their updates! Miss you lots
The Alarcons
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?