Tuesday, December 05, 2006

 

Split a piece of wood; I am there.

Today I spent just over two hours at "The Plume School" in Maldon, Essex. They apparently would like my services as a Science/Mathematics teacher. Tomorrow I visit "Furtherwick Park School" on Canvey Island. Heretically speaking all of these schools are much the same - tired buildings, even more tired staff, students who are chronically too cool for school, and a taxpayer funded shuffle of bit part players such as myself wandering in and out of the daily mess.
This country (or maybe just Essex), is obsessed with educational statistics, slavishly poring over all manner of meaningless numbers which have the effect of stripping the dignity away from the process of learning. How it is possible to quantify the engagement of students is beyond me – but what I do know as an experienced teacher is that the bulk of the students (and teachers) that I have seen so far are drowning in a sea of assessment. This madness is mandated by people who, no doubt with good intentions, seem hell bent on reducing education to the same level as mass production, complete with efficiency experts (OFSTED). What to do? Discussions of this are mostly met with blank stares, but there are some in the country that are seeing the signs of a serious breakdown – will their wacky views prevail.

I have been accused in the past of having quirky world views, and perhaps once again I sit uneasily outside the boundaries of decent human common sense! Time, as usual, will be the judge. If ever I am considered too much of a problem, it is possible that one small child with a large axe may quickly and messily remedy the situation (see the pic from the London Dungeon)!
In other news, Kym is enjoying her work at Greenwich, and is now wrestling with the joys of a pocket PC (HP iPAQ hx4700) which she is compelled to use to help organise her! I predict she will throw it against a wall within a week! Mitchell has garnered the support of his peers and has been elected class representative! Goodness knows where all this public service will end up - Prime Minister perhaps? I am still not mentioning the cricket, but let's just say the English Cricket Team seems to be borrowing its luck from Kim Beazley.

Comments:
Hi mitch i saw your movie thingy mobob at the gruduation were you say hello from england on the t.v it was heeps funny but they cut out the last part =[
From Daniel Macphail
 
Hi Kym

Can you email me your email address - I don't have it at home!

Deb
 
Hi all, the graduation night went well. Alex was a bit teary at the end, but mainly due to Mitch's message. The school office gave Alex your graduation pack with dvd, photos, book etc. I will post it on Monday.
Last night we attended the attended the Melville City council elected members Xmas function, as guests of Duncan McPhail. It was a great night, although I think our table was amongst the youngest there!
Alex had an early birthday party today with 20 boys from school. Needless to say, we didn't have it at home. It was a pool party at Melville Aquatic centre.
Good luck with the job hunting, I'm sure something will come up that is a reasonable compromise.
Speak to you soon.
Take care and hope you are all well.
Ross, Anne Luke & Alex.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?