Sunday, January 28, 2007

 

unHenged near Bath

Henge, as it turns out, may mean "hanging" so Stonehenge is like "Hanging Rock", and just like Hanging Rock in Australia, Stonehenge is a quiet and spooky place with an overpowering effect on the millions of humans that circumnavigate the imposing structure. What a weekend we had in Wiltshire! Firstly the four hour journey to Littleton Panel was rewarded by fantastic hospitality from May and her children. We set off for Bath the next day and swept through the Abbey and the Roman Baths in around 4 hours. Back for dinner with the Lintons, then Sunday found us heading to Stonehenge and onwards to Salisbury where the Cathedral had us gawping. Not least amongst the sights was one of few remaining original copies of the Magna Carta - written on vellum in the 13th century and sitting for us colonials to marvel over in the Chapter House of the Cathedral. It is really too much to take in over such a short space of time, but magical nonetheless. Back to work tomorrow - what a strange overlap of the sublime and the ridiculous!

Comments:
Hi!

I bet it was hard getting up for work/school this morning!
Lovely hearing from you and May and family in Wiltshire. The interest in Roman and British history continues I see, you realise that you are whetting our appetite.Interesting that May took my remarks about our over 40 degrees celsius over three consecutive days as boasting, we're just surviving.

Love to all, Cushla xxxx
 
Hello Pecks,
I always enjoy your lively stories and loved the pictures from the roman baths and the Cathedral? in Salisbury. I am glad the weather hasn't been as bad as it could get. We just spent some time in Tokyo with Percy and our warmest winter clothes from Perth did not work too well so we borrowed jackets from my brother. We have found our new home to have bad air circulation so when we recently had 3 or 4 days in a row over 40c, we roasted. One day we went to the beach and it felt like walking into an oven!! but I still prefer it to the cold. You don't catch colds when it is too warm!! Getting back to your story, it is just wonderful that you are all taking the time to soak all the european sights and history, how precious for the boys.
A big hug to everyone
Rocio
 
Hi Pecks,
It sounds as though you're having a ball! I love each of your comments and to know you're absorbing so much! Yeah, those Romans did seem to leave some lasting treasures. It makes you realise how little people are in wanting their creature comforts. Full credit to you Mitch and Jackson for making your new school experience a positive one!
Remember I told you I was feeding a stary cat for about six weeks? Well, from the stree of that lowering his immune system, our cat Chip, has got the mange. You never saw a more miserable creature. He's on his third course of antibiotics and has had his third injection to fight the mange. He's lost a lot of fur, and in spite of eating well he's lost a lot of weight. Because we have our puppy home, Chip's quarintined to two rooms of the house which are 'no go' areas for Shani the Labradoodle.
If she wasn't such a good natures pup I'd have gone quietly crazier!
Shani is gorgeous. She's going to be cafe au lait in colour. (Mum is white and dad chocolate. ) Where dad looks like a boofy sheepdog with dreadlocks, mum is a tall, elegant, prancing white poodle looking labradoodle. I think Shani is going to look more like mum(Meg) but time will tell.
Nic's off to an over thirties wine tasing river cruise tonight. Next Friday I have my next book launch for The signet Ring. Ben's enjoying his unit he's bought in Toowoomba, and sounds happy in his lieutenant responsibilities. He's also signed up to do a couple of modules at Q/land Uni. We're all well and glad you're all having such a great time.
Love, Loretta xxxx
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?