Thursday, May 31, 2007

 

Make the switch?

Dell are now selling computers pre-installed with Linux! Mum just bought a Dell, but of course it came with Windows XP. One of my regular holiday projects is to change/upgrade operating systems on the computer. We have been using SUSE since being in the UK, but this week have migrated over to Ubuntu. I haven't used any Windows stuff for more than a decade, and I have tried almost all the major Linux distributions, including building one from scratch myself. People still send me word documents, which I can read OK, and of course through work I need to deal with excel spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations, but these are all handled seamlessly on Linux (the fact that programs like openoffice can do more than MSOffice – e.g. exporting direct to pdf – also helps!) The boys use MSN and we all still email, browse the web, look at videos, etc., but we don't have any viruses, malware, trojans, spyware, system crashes, data losses, etc., that windows is famous for. We do have some fantastic screensavers, games, toys and other diversions that windows used to be famous for! Why do people keep windows? That's a question you'll need to ask yourself! I don't wish to waste valuable blog space, so if you are interested in trying Ubuntu without destroying your existing computer files, and you are open minded about trying new things, click here to continue. If you want to go the full monty - try this link. Did I mention it's FREE!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?