Sunday, June 17, 2007

 

First week at King's

Hello blogsters,
I have finished my first week at King's and everyone seems very friendly with the promise of very interesting things to come. I have been taken on 3 lunches and drinks after work on Friday as a welcome.
I have already visited my first academic, and registered for my first conference next week. I have been invited to register for a 3 day live-in biotechnology conference at Cambridge in August, and a similar 3 day one in Liverpool in October.
There are several advantages for me at King's including reduced travelling time, better salary and prospects and I am in an office with windows to the outside! I have already booked the rest of my annual leave (3 weeks) for 2007 to start on 25 July for the summer camping/B&B extravaganza through France, Italy, Switzerland and possibly Germany that Anthony is organising.
The boys are busy with their cricket now as Jackson is playing in both the 4ths (1-8pm) Saturdays, and the U15 on Monday (6-8pm) and training Wednesday (6-8pm) and Mitch is playing on Sunday in the U13 (10am-12.30pm) and training Thursday (6-8pm). The most recent performances include Mitch playing today: bowling 3 overs, 1 wicket for 32 runs (a little expensive), and batting made 11 runs including 2 boundaries. Yesterday, Jackson in the Wickford 4ths included: bowling 5 overs 1 wicket for 21 runs, and the team won before he had the opportunity to bat.
Anthony and the boys now have only 5 weeks until the end of the 2006/07 academic year, and we are all looking forward to the summer trip.
Yesterday the Queen's birthday celebrations of the Parade of the Queen's Guards was televised, and today is the UK Father's Day. The boys presented cards to Anthony, made him breakfast and we are heading out to our favourite Indian restaurant, Bekash, for dinner tonight.
Hope all is well for everyone.
Catch you next time
Cheers Kym

The pic is from googlemaps, showing where Kym arrives in London at the top (Liverpool Street Station), and then walks across London Bridge to her office. Are you sitting down? Of course you are, you're on a computer! The yearly ticket for this journey is £2600 (AU$6500)!!

Comments:
Hi everyone!
I'm an early blogger this time.Kym
pointed out her King's office site from the train on our way to Stratford. Great that the reality of the job is so positive. Yes the cost of travel on the public transport system is mind boggling.I guess that
you'd have to say that Jackson and Mitchell take their cricket very seriously! Good luck with everything
including the coming part camping
holiday in Europe.
Love Cushla xxxx
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?