Saturday, September 22, 2007

 

The Medical-go-round

Keeping up the theme of people not things, I thought it would be useful to relay my recent contacts with the NHS driven local medical centre. If you've just eaten, come back and read this blog a bit later. For the last couple of weeks I've been suffering a suppurating wound on my big toe following an over zealous pruning of my toenail. So I naturally contacted our local medical centre. The earliest they could fit me in was October! I asked them if they were open on Saturday. The receptionist emphatically said "No!".
By Saturday I knew I needed antibiotics, so I called the medical centre number, knowing they were closed, to hear the recorded message regarding procedures for locum attendance. The locum gave me a mobile number to call, the holder of which at that very moment was inside the medical centre, with doctors and nurses, on Saturday! Huh?
Anyway, they let me in the secret back door, and the surgery was FULL of people! It took 2min with the doctor and away I went with my antibiotic prescription.
The week started well, but by Wednesday the foot was again a bit noxious, so I doubled the antibiotic dosage off my own bat and then called the surgery to find out if I could see a doctor about a repeat prescription or a stronger drug/dose. They told me I couldn't see anyone until October. Deja Vu! There was a cancellation the next day, but I was at work, so after work Friday I called in person just on closing. All the doctors and nurses were in the medical centre. There was one patient waiting, and me. Could I see a doctor (pointing at horrible toe)? Yes, in October ("I remember you!" she scowled).
"What about tomorrow morning?" I ask, remembering last week.
"We are not open on a Saturday" she states, completely po-faced, "try Basildon Hospital Emergency"
Er, no thanks, I limp out. I have to MOT the car this morning, so on my behalf Kym rings the magic mobile number. One hour later I go to the secret back door of the medical centre, and there are the usual gaggle of doctors and patients! 2 minutes later I have my stronger antibiotics.
We are living in la-la-land, and if you don't know the secret handshake, you're stuffed!

The picture today was requested by Mrs E Peck, who wanted to see just how tall these boys have become over the "summer" holidays.

Comments:
This is Mrs E Peck acknowledging
the photos of the boys in regard to their height to the parents. I think the parents better start eating their greens or they are going to be left behind.
Have a good weekend.

The Pecks Snr
 
Hi all!
It's good to be back in the loop - the computer was not working until Sebastian discovered and fixed the problem. You all look good in the photo, Jackson are you sure that you are not standing on tiptoes? Anthony, I'm sorry that your experience with the NHS was not good,hope that your toe is recovering. In general life sounds interesting for you all.
Love Cushla xxxx
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?