Sunday, September 30, 2007
Upsidedown side
Yesterday I had to work all day! On a Saturday! That's the downside of private education. The boys don't see their dad now until after 5pm, whereas before I could scamper home just after 3:30. Last Sunday I had to work in the boarding school all afternoon. The upside is that the "work" isn't really that tough, and in fact yesterday was open day at New Hall, but my job was to look after kids who weren't touring with prospective parents and students. So I bought in a couple of chess sets and for the rest of the day it was me vs. the world (including some teachers who heard the news and filtered in to challenge me). I am pleased to say that at the end of the day the Australian pride was unsullied by defeat.
The theme of "people not things" this time includes some thoughts on the famous "Essex Girl". All over the place in Essex you will see girls (and women) who look more like aliens than humans. They are orange, due to tanning salons (oblivious to the dangers), they have peroxide hair, they show most of their body parts even in cold weather, and they speak in a tone and an accent that could be used to repel the most battle hardened soldier. As for their personal habits, check out this well worn joke:
An Essex girl goes to the council to register for child benefit.
"How many children?" asks the council worker.
"10" replies the Essex girl.
"10?" says the council worker. "What are their names?"
"Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe and Joe."
"Doesn't that get confusing?"
"Naah..." says the Essex girl "its great because if they are out playing in the street I just have to shout JOE, YER DINNER'S READY, or JOE, GO TO BED NOW and they all do it..."
"What if you want to speak to one individually?" says the perturbed council worker.
"That's easy," says the Essex girl... "I just use their surnames."
The boys were really keen to meet the legendary Essex Girl, and their schoolmates haven't disappointed them. In their droves they whip out the compact mirror at the drop of a hat and check the 5cm thick layer of gunk that they have smeared all over their faces. It is a truly horrendous sight!
Today I have posted a video, not a picture. It is quite large, so please don't download it unless you have a broadband connection. If you have trouble viewing it, please let me know and I'll remove it and replace it with a nice pic!
The theme of "people not things" this time includes some thoughts on the famous "Essex Girl". All over the place in Essex you will see girls (and women) who look more like aliens than humans. They are orange, due to tanning salons (oblivious to the dangers), they have peroxide hair, they show most of their body parts even in cold weather, and they speak in a tone and an accent that could be used to repel the most battle hardened soldier. As for their personal habits, check out this well worn joke:
An Essex girl goes to the council to register for child benefit.
"How many children?" asks the council worker.
"10" replies the Essex girl.
"10?" says the council worker. "What are their names?"
"Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe and Joe."
"Doesn't that get confusing?"
"Naah..." says the Essex girl "its great because if they are out playing in the street I just have to shout JOE, YER DINNER'S READY, or JOE, GO TO BED NOW and they all do it..."
"What if you want to speak to one individually?" says the perturbed council worker.
"That's easy," says the Essex girl... "I just use their surnames."
The boys were really keen to meet the legendary Essex Girl, and their schoolmates haven't disappointed them. In their droves they whip out the compact mirror at the drop of a hat and check the 5cm thick layer of gunk that they have smeared all over their faces. It is a truly horrendous sight!
Today I have posted a video, not a picture. It is quite large, so please don't download it unless you have a broadband connection. If you have trouble viewing it, please let me know and I'll remove it and replace it with a nice pic!
Comments:
<< Home
Hello Anthony
I checked the video - it worked well but had stops and starts in it but I could see the beautiful surrounds of the school. I forgot that you had a weekend of duty but it is over now and didn't sound as though it was too difficult.
Love to all.
From Tuross Head
I checked the video - it worked well but had stops and starts in it but I could see the beautiful surrounds of the school. I forgot that you had a weekend of duty but it is over now and didn't sound as though it was too difficult.
Love to all.
From Tuross Head
Hi Pecks
Good to hear from you. Sounds like the new Job is not too stressful Ant. Beautiful school grounds, looks very impressive. Thanks for the postcard from Italy, it took 5 weeks to get here!Remember to use the little sticker that says AIRMAIL!...Hope you are all keeping well. Here it's holiday time with beautiful weather. I guess it means we don't have to use tanning salons! Cheers from the Kranklins.
Post a Comment
Good to hear from you. Sounds like the new Job is not too stressful Ant. Beautiful school grounds, looks very impressive. Thanks for the postcard from Italy, it took 5 weeks to get here!Remember to use the little sticker that says AIRMAIL!...Hope you are all keeping well. Here it's holiday time with beautiful weather. I guess it means we don't have to use tanning salons! Cheers from the Kranklins.
<< Home
