Monday, January 28, 2008
Wijk aan zee report
What would it have been like to watch Monet paint? A blank canvas, a few brush strokes ("Hey! That looks easy - I could do that!"), but soon a picture appears, and before long a masterpiece is born, the beauty is exquisite and breathtaking.
What is it like to watch Grandmaster chess? 64 squares set up lifelessly on a "blank" starting board. A few pieces are pushed about ("Hey! That looks easy - I could to that!"), but soon a deeply conceived plan is evident, and then countered. The tension grows with each move, and the board is alive with threats and veiled violence. Then you realise, no - I cannot do this! But it is awesome to watch such minds at work making their art. The energy in the room is palpable. The Grandmasters do not sit in stone as imagined, but pace endlessly up and down the hall, easily covering many kilometres in their frenzy, stopping now and then to sit fidgeting at the board and make another move. Soon, just when the tension seems unbearable and time short, the board explodes with a series of captures, the tension dissipates, and the result is known. Five hours have passed in a flash - amazing.
I was chuffed to meet Topalov, Aronian and Anand as they exited the playing arena, but it was also great just to witness the array on talent on offer at this prestigious tournament. An inspiring once in a lifetime experience!
On this short video I took on Saturday you might be able to spot Jan Timman, Anatoly Karpov, Loek van Wely, Judit Polgar, Nigel Short, Magnus Carlsen, Vishy Anand, Lajos Portisch, Jan Smeets, Pavel Eljanov and Veselin Topalov. The many others at the tournament you can read about, if you wish, at the official site. Great weekend - very inspiring!
What is it like to watch Grandmaster chess? 64 squares set up lifelessly on a "blank" starting board. A few pieces are pushed about ("Hey! That looks easy - I could to that!"), but soon a deeply conceived plan is evident, and then countered. The tension grows with each move, and the board is alive with threats and veiled violence. Then you realise, no - I cannot do this! But it is awesome to watch such minds at work making their art. The energy in the room is palpable. The Grandmasters do not sit in stone as imagined, but pace endlessly up and down the hall, easily covering many kilometres in their frenzy, stopping now and then to sit fidgeting at the board and make another move. Soon, just when the tension seems unbearable and time short, the board explodes with a series of captures, the tension dissipates, and the result is known. Five hours have passed in a flash - amazing.
I was chuffed to meet Topalov, Aronian and Anand as they exited the playing arena, but it was also great just to witness the array on talent on offer at this prestigious tournament. An inspiring once in a lifetime experience!
On this short video I took on Saturday you might be able to spot Jan Timman, Anatoly Karpov, Loek van Wely, Judit Polgar, Nigel Short, Magnus Carlsen, Vishy Anand, Lajos Portisch, Jan Smeets, Pavel Eljanov and Veselin Topalov. The many others at the tournament you can read about, if you wish, at the official site. Great weekend - very inspiring!
Comments:
<< Home
Hi Anthony!
So the weekend was 'cool, a blast,
informative, interesting' and all
things good! I hope that now you have experienced the ultimate in chess
viewing there is still room to enjoy
the local chess scene in Australia!
Wasn't it opportune that you could
be there, glad that it was such a
treat and leading up to a very Happy
Birthday too!!
Eric and Cushla x
So the weekend was 'cool, a blast,
informative, interesting' and all
things good! I hope that now you have experienced the ultimate in chess
viewing there is still room to enjoy
the local chess scene in Australia!
Wasn't it opportune that you could
be there, glad that it was such a
treat and leading up to a very Happy
Birthday too!!
Eric and Cushla x
I can't believe you went all the way to lovely Amsterdam to watch people pick their noses. It's true, watch the video.
Post a Comment
<< Home
